Activists from Deir Ezzor launch a campaign to demand the release of “Abu Khawla Muhassan”, a military commander of the Free Army

Written by D24

Yesterday, Sunday 27-10-2019, Activists from Deir Ezzor launched a media campaign to demand the release of a military commander of the Free Syrian Army “Abdul Rahman al-Muheimid”, known as “Abu Khawla Muhassan.”

Abu Khawla was arrested nearly five months ago by the national army in the northern Aleppo countryside, without any charges against him. 

The campaign came after Abu Khawla’s health condition began to deteriorate in the national army prisons two days ago, and was transferred to a hospital in the northern Aleppo countryside.

Abdul Rahman al-Muheimed “Abu Khawla”, born in 1985, lived in Ras al-Ain and then moved to Damascus, worked as a policeman until March 2011, and with the start of the Syrian revolution, he hastened to defect, particularly after Al-Rusafa battle in Deir Ezzor, and joined the ranks of the Free Army, “Abu Bakr al-Siddiq Battalion”, and fought several battles, the most important of which are the battles of Deir Ezzor military airport, then, he formed an independent group inside Deir Ezzor city, and participated in several battles, including the liberating of al-Sinaa neighborhood.

When Daesh came to Deir Ezzor, he fought the organization since its beginnings, so it arrested one of his brothers in 2014, and has been disappeared to this day, with some information that Daesh killed him. He has another brother who has been detained by the Assad regime since 2012. His third brother is a fighter of the Free Army.

His daughter, Khawla, a child, was martyred by artillery shelling on Muhassan city in 2012. He suffered several injuries, and lost sight for days in an airstrike on Deir Ezzor, but after a while he has his sight back. He has rods all the way in his legs due to a previous injury.

He fought the Battle of Tadef, which was the reason for his arrest, where he attacked the Assad regime in support of Daraa, which upset some national army commanders and Turkish officers, after the Battle of Tadef, an attack was launched against him under the name “fight against corruption”, he clashed with the attacking forces for 18 hours, which resulted in the killing of 12 members of his elements, and three members of the National Army.

He was displaced to Idlib with some of his elements, and joined Jaysh Al-Izza during the battles of Hama countryside, then returned undercover to al-Ra’i town in the northern Aleppo countryside, where he was tracked, monitored, and captured at Al-Shatt checkpoint near Azaz, in Ramadan 2019.

The military commander Abu Khawla is still detained by the National Army north of Aleppo without being tried or charged by the National Army Command. And as his health is deteriorating, activists from Deir Ezzor called on the national army to determine the fate of Abu Khawla, and release him if there is no charge against him.